3400 bar fluid flow experiments can be done at the CSE HPLoop
A unique test facility in the whole of Europe – with operating pressures up to 3400 bar. The following pressure vessels are connected to each other in addition to other vessels:
- 2 pressure vessels with permissible pressure of up to 700 bar, a volume of about 3 m3 respectively (with a length of about 11 m and an outer diameter of about 1.2 m weighing about 20 tons each).
- 3 pressure vessels with permissible pressure of up to 3400 bar, a volume of about 300 liter respectively (with a length of about 3.5 m and an outer diameter of about 1.0 m weighing about 20 tons each).
Scope of Measurements
The High Pressure Loop is for calibrating components, pipe fittings and measuring instruments. Standard measurements are performed to determine the following:
- Performance (volumetric and mass flow)
- Flow resistance (pressure drop)
- Characteristics (pressure opening characteristics, etc.)
- Other flow phenomena
Some of the fittings that can be calibrated include:
- Safety valves
- Rupture disc devices
- Control valves
- Orifice plates (and other plates)
- Nozzles and
- Other fittings.
Measurements are performed at constant pressure or at constant mass flow rates. The High Pressure Loop has an automatic control system in the high-pressure zone.
The High-Pressure-Loop is for research purposes, for developing new safety devices as well as for validating the performance and operation of existing safety devices.
The facility’s capacity is currently being extended and it should be in operation again in 2016.
The high pressure vessels were donated to the CSE-Institute by BASF SE, Ludwigshafen and Lyondellbasell GmbH, Wesseling – these donations were crucial in the realization of this unique test facility.